A light tank developed on the basis of the U.K. Vickers Mk. E. tank at the beginning of the 1930s. The vehicle was designed for supporting infantry and came in several modifications. It also served as a basis for various special vehicles and SPGs that were not widely used. From 1931 through 1941, 9,686 vehicles of various modifications and configurations were produced.