In 1937, the commander of the Automotive-Armored Directorate Bokis initiated the development of a new reconnaissance tank. The tactical and technical requirements of the autumn of 1937 specified that the vehicle should not be able to go underwater and should be provided with a wheeled caterpillar engine of the BT type. Development started at the Construction Bureau of Factory No. 185. It planned to use an air-cooled engine, transmission units of the PT-1 and T-29 wheeled caterpillar tanks. Later, project development stopped and no prototype was produced.