From 1943 through 1944, the Soviet Central Artillery Design Bureau was working on improving the characteristics of the vehicles of the Red Army. In particular, it was planned to mount more powerful guns on the vehicles supplied under the Lend-Lease Act. One promising solution was modifying the American M4A2 medium tanks by mounting them with Soviet T-34 turrets. The turret was designed for an 85 mm gun. The project existed only in blueprints.